Monday, February 9, 2009

Parents Letter: RE: Funny Week‏

Mon 2/09/09 10:02 AM

Hi Flora!!!

This was a long and a funny letter. I wish I could write letters this good. I hate to tell you but your record will probably ever be about 2 letters in one day. I don't know any other family in the church who is worse about writing letters.

Well, MY problem, as you know, is nothing ever happens to me. So there is not much I can say.

Ok let me think of something I did this week. Well, in my calling in the RS I have to go to a weekly missionary meeting. So this past week I went and I had to laugh at how messed up these missionaries are. This one guy Desi's age just got baptized last week. His girlfriend is in the Summerville ward and he was having the discussions at their house, and the Summerville elders were teaching him. They found out the day before his baptism that he actually LIVES in our ward, so at the baptism, our elders went up to him and told him he had to start going to our ward. He said no. Hahahahaha. Now they have to figure out a way to try to convert him to coming to the Oakbrook ward. They are trying to get Desi and Franny to help them with this.

Also, when I walked in the meeting I smelled this really nice cologne. So I said (to Bro. Griffin) "something smells really good, it that you?" and he said, oh yeah that was something his wife picked out for him. So the missionary says, "You might be smelling MY cologne." And I said, "oh, you are wearing cologne?" and he said, "yeah, but just a little bit, I don't want to be TOO attractive!" lol. Anyway, that is the kind of elders we have.

Here is a nice quote that someone sent me this past week which I thought you might like. It is by Joseph Smith:

We consider that God has created man with a mind capable of instruction, and a faculty which may be enlarged in proportion to the heed and diligence given to the light communicated from heaven to the intellect; and that the nearer man approaches perfection, the clearer are his views, and the greater his enjoyments, till he has overcome the evils of his life and lost every desire for sin; and like the ancients arrives at that point of faith where he is wrapped in the power and glory of his Maker, and is caught up to dwell with Him. But we consider that this is a station to which no man ever arrived in a moment: he must have been instructed in the government and laws of that kingdom by proper degrees, until his mind is capable in some measure of comprehending the propriety, and justice, equality, consistency of the same. For further instruction we refer you to Deut. xxxii, where the Lord Says, that Jacob is the lot of his inheritance. He found him in a desert land, and in the waste, howling wilderness; He led him about, He instructed him, He kept him as the apple of His eye, etc.; which will show the force of the last item advanced, that it is necessary for men to receive an understanding concerning the laws of the heavenly kingdom, before they are permitted to enter it: we mean the celestial glory. (D.H.C., 2:8; Teachings, p. 51.)


I like the thought of losing every desire for sin. You might suppose that your mother is a big sinner, and you would probably be right, but I actually have a heart to be good and follow the Lord. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. I hope you will enjoy your mission and the opportunity you have to conquer the flesh and overcome sin. It will be easier to do it now than at any time during your life.

You should enjoy your time there, and have fun, too. Don't be too hard on yourself, but do what you can to improve little by little.

OK I will try to repent and write you more often. Did you get my letter last weeK?
Love you,
Mom

No comments: